Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Suckin' Wind


 Today in Great Neck I took on  XLR8! with Rocky once again. The daunting challenge these past 4 sessions has not abated in fact on Friday morning I just could not raise these bones and get to the 6 AM but today I was determined to see the Rock off as she leaves on her sojourn of 10 days. I can’t take advantage of the respite and will have to engage one of her substitutes so I don’t slip back.  My short-term goal is to get my HR to respond quickly enough so that I am not sucking wind for the full hour.  That first 10 minutes is so hard to navigate through because there is just no let up. It’s a veritable bath by fire.  I like the jumping rope that starts off the session it gets the whole body galvanized as to what’s in store. 

 I thank God that not everyone in the group is leaving me in the dust as some have to run in place on the sidelines because this is no Jane Fonda exercise video and its gratifying that at my age I can still represent. I’m going to stick with this class until I can get faster, improve my agility and increase my speed during the running segments as that was my forte a half lifetime ago. My strength workouts 3 days a week has made the 50-50 dips off the curb and the elevated pushups relatively easy. The burpees however are going to take some time because the whole body is moving and not every part of my physiology is up to snuff yet.  Afterward I felt shaky and a word to the wise is to hydrate before, during and after the session especially in this heat.  The Rock had us outside for a portion of the hour but ever vigilant about our well being we spent more time inside than out.  

Our best wishes to Rocky and her family for an exciting trip and her safe arrival back home to kick our Asses.  



No comments:

Post a Comment